Can The Internet Really Help You Save Money On Homeowners Insurance?
If you ever watch TV or browse the net, you have probably seen a lot of ads from competitive insurance companies. Most of these ads are for auto insurance companies, but a few home insurance companies slip in their message too. You may be so overwhelmed with these ads that you start to ignore them.
Who can blame you for becoming “advertisement blind”? After all, each company seems to loudly proclaim that their company has the lowest prices, best service, and best coverage. But keep a couple of things in mind.
- All companies are not alike. Each insurer has their own guidelines and price charts. They also all have their own sets of discounts that may give some types of customers a much cheaper price.
- There is no way for anybody to tell you which company will be best for you without some basic information about your home and your lifestyle.
- The insurance market is quite competitive. Companies seem to use a lot of gimmicks to set themselves apart from the pack. However, the ditzy sales girl or cute little mascot may not really assure you that an insurer is really better.
My Experience With Comparing Homeowners Insurance Online
I actually dropped a policy from a very highly rated company with a fantastic record of customer service. Was it because I was unhappy with the service or rates? No, I was actually very satisfied with them.
I dropped them because they only provided homeowners insurance. I also needed to cover myself and a young driver on my vehicle. My car insurance rates got too expensive, and I needed to find an auto and home insurance company who would give me a good discount for bundling policies! I found a highly rated company with competitive rates, and I made the switch to save money on my total bill.
Again, the best insurer is really the best insurer for you!
Things To Consider About Home Insurance Companies
- Of course, you will want to find a company with competitive rates. I do not know anybody who likes to overpay.
- This leads us into the example I used above. Sometimes you will get the best deal by finding a company that will give you a discount for things that you are already doing or that you could do with little trouble. Some of the top insurers offer discounts for home safety features, fire or burglar alarms, upgrades, setting up automatic payments from your checking account, and for placing more than one type of policy with them. If you can take advantage of more than one of these price breaks, you can end up saving a lot of money.
- Finding cheap homeowners insurance will not do you any good if they do not have your back when you need to make a claim! Check into the customer service record of any company you plan to use. Find out if they have a simple and fast claims service and friendly customer service people on the phone.
- It is also simple enough to find out if the company has a good financial rating. You want to be sure that the company has the strength and financial means to pay claims when disasters strike. You can look at some third party verification services like A.M. Best.
Now, How Can You Find The Best Homeowners Insurance Online?
I have just listed a lot of different things to consider. You may feel a little overwhelmed, but I have a simple solution. I cannot give you one website or phone number though because the right answer will depend upon where you live, your home value, and many other things that are unique to you!
To get the best homeowners insurance deals, search for a form that lets you compare multiple insurance rates in one place. You can do this by performing a search on any of the major search engines like Google, Yahoo!, or Bing.
Look for 3rd party verification so you know the company participates in some sort of consumer protection system. For example, many insurance quote companies participate in the BBB online verification system.
Look for a secure system. You can tell if the system is secure if you see https:// (not http://) after you actually start the quote. The “s” at the end of the https tells you that the system runs on a secure server.
The quote forms should return 3 – 5 different quotes from different companies. Now that you have narrowed down your search, it is simple enough to check out a handful of insurers.
You will also get contact information for a professional that you can email and call with more questions. Be sure and make those people work for your business by answering all the questions you have. After all, when you buy homeowners insurance, you are probably buying it to cover your largest asset!